Skip to main content

Pumped Out

Softsoap
On August 22, 1865, Willian Sheppard of New York was granted a patent for his improved liquid soap. You take a small amount of soap and mix it with large amounts of spirits of ammonia. What you get is liquid soap with the consistency of molasses. In the US, liquid hand soap became popular in public places from the beginning of 1900s. But it took eight decades for liquid hand soap to make it to our homes, in the bottle pump avatar. 

In the 1980s, bar soap market was dominated by big brands like Dial, Ivory and Zest in the US. The competition was cut-throat and they had to fight it out for every percentage point of market share. Meanwhile, in Minnesota, there was a small company, The Minnetonka Corporation, known for niche items like bubble baths, scented candles, flavoured lip balm. They had a new product, liquid soap dispensed from a plastic hand pump. Until then only bar soap was used for handwashing. And Minnetonka wanted to change that. They tested their new product in small markets under the radar of bar soap manufacturers. It was a success. Pilot testing in the small markets indicated that Minnetonka can capture 4% to 9% market share within a short period. 

Minnetonka was ready to roll out the product nationally. And they had to do it as soon as possible before the big bar soap brands catch on. But they had a problem. There were only two suppliers of the kind of plastic hand pumps Minnetonka needed for their product in the US. What did the company do? They signed a contract with both the suppliers for a total of 100 million units and locked up the entire supply of plastic pumps for 2 years. They launched the product nationally under the brand name Softsoap. Within six months they sold $25 million worth of Softsoap. By the time other brands entered the market, Softsoap was in a dominant position. Softsoap is still the leading liquid soap brand in the United States with a sales share of 22.1% in 2019. 

Colgate Palmolive acquired Softsoap brand from The Minnetonka Corporation in 1987. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shaktimaan and the French Philosopher

My childhood superhero was Shaktimaan. I persuaded my parents to buy me Shaktimaan dress for my 6th birthday. I succeeded in getting the dashing outfit. But the transformation isn’t complete without red colour gloves, socks and shoes. I threw tantrums but my parents got the better of me. I was the Shaktimaan who showed up in paragon slippers. Sorry, Shaktimaan! Shaktimaan, the Indian Superhero  Fast forward to the present. I buy the complete set for my niece as her birthday gift every year. She doesn't get only a doll from me. She gets all the accessories that go with it. Wand, tiara, makeup kit and what not! I remember the first time I bought a formal suit. I ended up buying cufflinks, tie, watch, belt and other such accessories. I am sure you would have experienced such things too. You buy a new phone. You follow it up buying a cover, earphones, screen guard, etc. One buy leads to another. And this has a name – Diderot Effect . Named after Denis Diderot,  an 18th-century French p

Elixir for hair growth

In the late 1950s, a pharmaceutical manufacturing company Upjohn developed minoxidil to treat ulcers. However, during clinical trials on dogs, the medication did not cure ulcers. And they were disappointed. Instead, they found that medication had widened the blood vessels. An unexpected effect they didn’t foresee. Bingo! They had found medicine to treat high blood pressure. Upjohn patented the drug and the FDA approved its usage to treat high blood pressure in 1979. The drug was sold in oral tablet form with the trade name Loniten . Surprise, Surprise! The story doesn’t end there. While the FDA granted Upjohn permission to test the drug as medicine for hypertension, scientists noticed some of the patients were reporting unexpected hair growth. One of the patients, a woman, complained that she had to shave her legs and trim her hair more frequently than before she started taking the medicine. Even though researchers thought the effect of the drug on hair growth is more unlikely, they d

Fundamental Attribution Error

One day I was waiting in the lift lobby at work, having nothing to do. It was one of those days where frustration was sky-high, everything that could go wrong did. So, I took a break! Software engineers reading this would agree with me. Might seem silly for others though. Coming back to the story. There in the ground floor lift lobby, I noticed a guy, who was in his mid-30s or so he looked like. We entered the lift.  He punched in floor 1. What a lazy ass! I have noticed him repeating this couple other times. I thought he must really be a sloth. I made fun of him. I loud-mouthed once to my teammates that I am going to take the stairs for four floors and beat them to it. The one-floor guy was around waiting for the lift in the lobby. I made sure he heard it loud and clear.  A few months later, I joined the gym to bulk up. My romance with the gym as you guessed didn’t last long. But oh boy I didn’t give up so easily. I persisted for two months you see! The fifth day of my first week turn